Staffing and Employment Policy
A high adult to child ratiois essential in providing good quality pre-school care.
In The Playbox:
– If a member of staff becomes sick during the Playbox session, staff will ensure that adequate adult
to child ratios remain and staff personal details are available for emergency contact numbers.
– Weekly staff meetings provide opportunities for staff to undertake curriculum planning and to discuss
the children’s progress and their individual needs.
– Our Keyperson system ensures personal attention to the needs of each individual child and family.
A Keyperson system can provide:
- Assistance with settling into the group
- Close monitoring of each child’s progress in all developmental areas
- A point of personal contact between home and The Playbox
- Input into the groups curriculum planning to ensure that each individual child’s needs are met
- Individual knowledge of the children, which enables the Keyperson to make a valuable contribution to the groups child protection system
- Continuity of experience for the children during their time at The Playbox
- Opportunities to build up positive relationships with the parents in the group.
Although children in The Playbox therefore get to know their keyperson very well. The keyperson is not the only person they get to know. Keypersons do not:
- Shadow their children throughout the session
- Liaise only with their own group of children
- Prevent other adults from forming relationships with their key children.
The Playbox has regard to the Safe Recruitment guidelines and all relevant policies and procedures when recruiting new staff
– We work towards an equal opportunities employment policy, seeking to offer job opportunities equally
to both men and women, with and without disabilities, from all religious, social and ethnic and cultural
– The Playbox leader will hold a relevant qualification and all members of staff will undergo appropriate training.
– Continuing training helps ensure that the group as a whole maintains an appropriate skill base for the
care of children.
– Our budget includes an allocation towards training costs.
– We support the work of our staff by means of regular supervision/appraisals.
– We are committed to recruiting, appointing and employing staff in accordance with all relevant
– We will notify Ofsted of any permanent staff changes.
– Our work is monitored by a regular inspection by the Early Years Directorate of Ofsted.
– If a member of staff is absent during a session we will ensure the legal minimum adult to child ratio is kept at all times and a list of emergency help is available on the premises.
This policy was reviewed & updated at a meeting of The Playbox committee held on 25th January 2023
Signed Chairperson: Jane Sharp