Staffing and Employment Policy
A high adult child ratiois essential in providing good quality pre-school care.
In The Playbox:
– If a member of staff is absent during a session we will ensure the legal minimum adult to child ratio is kept at all times and a list of emergency help is available on the premises.
– If a member of staff becomes sick during the Playbox session, staff will ensure that adequate adult to child ratios remain and staff personal details are available for emergency contact numbers.
– Monthly staff meetings provide opportunities for staff to undertake curriculum planning and to discuss the children’s progress and their individual needs.
– Our Keyperson system ensures personal attention to the needs of each individual child and family.
A Keyperson system can provide:
- Assistance with settling into the group
- Close monitoring of each child’s progress in all developmental areas
- A point of personal contact between home and The Playbox
- Input into the groups curriculum planning to ensure that each individual child’s needs are met
- Individual knowledge of the children, which enables the Keyperson to make a valuable contribution to the groups child protection system
- Continuity of experience for the children during their time at The Playbox
- Opportunities to build up positive relationships with the parents in the group.
Although children in The Playbox therefore get to know their keyperson very well, the keyperson is not the only person they get to know. Keypersons do not:
- Shadow their children throughout the session
- Liase only with their own group of children
- Prevent other adults from forming relationships with their key children.
The Playbox has regard to the Safe Recruitment guidelines and all relevant policies and procedures when recruiting new staff
– We work towards an equal opportunities employment policy, seeking to offer job opportunities equally to both men and women, with and without disabilities, from all religious, social and ethnic and cultural groups.
– The Playbox leader will hold a relevant qualification and all members of staff will undergo appropriate training.
– Continuing training helps ensure that the group as a whole maintains an appropriate skill base for the care of children.
– Our budget includes an allocation towards training costs.
– We support the work of our staff by means of regular monitoring/appraisals.
– We are committed to recruiting, appointing and employing staff in accordance with all relevant legislation.
– Our work is monitored by a regular inspection by the Early Years Directorate of Ofsted.
– We will notify Ofsted of any staff changes
This policy was adopted at a meeting of The Playbox committee held on 11th September 1996.
This policy was reviewed & updated at a meeting of The Playbox committee held on 20th November 2001.
This policy was reviewed & updated at a meeting of The Playbox committee held on 12th June 2007.
This policy was reviewed & updated at a meeting of The Playbox AGM held on 15th October 2013.
This policy was reviewed & updated at a meeting of The Playbox AGM held on 14th October 2014.
This policy was reviewed at a meeting of The Playbox committee 23rd November 2016
This policy was reviewed at a meeting of The Playbox committee on 7th November 2016
This policy was reviewed at a meeting of The Playbox committee held on 9th May 2019
This policy was reviewed by email & signed by the chairperson on the 22nd October 2020
Signed Chairperson: Jane Sharp