Safety – Policy and Practice
The safety of young children is of paramount importance.
We recognise the duties and comply with the Health & Safety at Work Act and other statutory bodies such as Ofsted.
All equipment and resources used at The Playbox conform to BSEN Safety Standards or Toys (safety) Regulation 1995.
In order to maintain the safety of both children and adults, The Playbox will ensure that:
– All children are supervised by adults at all times and will always be within sight of an adult.
– Whenever the children are on the premises at least two adults are present
– A book is available at each session for the reporting of any accident/incident.
– Regular safety monitoring will include checking of the accident/incident book.
– We will notify Ofsted and the Health & Safety Executive of any serious injury or death to any child or adult on the premises.
– A correctly stocked first aid box is available at all times.
– At least two members of staff are trained in First Aid and regularly update their training.
There will always be one member of staff who is first aid trained for each session.
– For safety reasons the main door to the hall is locked during The Playbox session and a spy hole is fitted for extra security to prevent unwanted visitors and to ensure that the children do not leave the premises unsupervised.
– All staff and parents are aware of the system in operation for children’s arrivals and departures and an adult will be at the door during these periods.
Failure to collect a child
– If a child has failed to be collected at the end of a session, their parents or emergency contacts will be called. In the event of this being unsuccessful after 1/4 hour after the end of a session it may be necessary to contact the police and Social Care Services. Depending on circumstances Ofsted may be informed on Tel: 0300 123 1231.
– In the unlikely event that a child becomes missing during the session, a member of staff will search the immediate area straight away. If the child cannot be immediately found, the police and then parents would be contacted. If an incident occurs, it will be reviewed afterwards within 24 hours and any changes to procedures will be updated in writing in the following two working days.
– A register of both adults and children is completed as they arrive so that a complete record of all those present is available in any emergency.
– Visitors will be requested to sign in and out of a visitor’s book.
– Children will leave the group only with authorised adults. Written Parental consent will be obtained whenever possible.
– Large equipment is erected with care and checked regularly.
– Equipment, toys, dressing up clothes and play materials are cleaned and washed at least every term, or more often if necessary.
– Equipment and premises are checked on a regular basis via a daily safety checklist and any dangerous items repaired or discarded.
– The layout and space ratios allow children and adults to move safely and freely between activities.
– There is no smoking in any of the rooms.
– Fire doors are never obstructed.
– Fire extinguishers are checked regularly.
– Fire Drills are held each term and effectively recorded – fire procedure is available and given to all staff, volunteers and students and displayed at the hall.
– Electric sockets are adequately guarded. Gas, heating, electrical and other appliances & fittings conform to safety standards, but are the responsibility of the Church and any concerns will be reported to them immediately via the chief property steward.
– All dangerous materials, including medicines, are stored out of reach of children.
– Children do not have access to the kitchen.
– Adults do not walk around with hot drinks or place hot drinks unattended within reach of the children.
– Activities such as cooking and energetic play receive close and constant supervision.
– The premises are checked before locking up at the end of the session.
– Our public liability Insurance certificate is permanently on display.
This policy was adopted at a meeting of The Playbox committee held on 11th September 1996.
This policy was reviewed & updated at a meeting of The Playbox committee held on 25th March 2003.
This policy was reviewed & updated at a meeting of The Playbox AGM held on 1st October 2008
This policy was reviewed & updated at a meeting of The Playbox AGM held on 16th October 2012 .
This policy was reviewed & updated at a meeting of The Playbox AGM held on 14th October 2014 .
This policy was reviewed at a meeting of The Playbox committee 23rd November 2015
This policy was reviewed at a meeting of The Playbox committee on 7th November 2016
This policy was reviewed and updated at a meeting of The Playbox committee on 6th June 2017
This policy was reviewed at a meeting of The Playbox committee held on 9th May 2019
This policy was reviewed by email & signed by the chairperson on the 22nd October 2020
Signed Chairperson: Jane Sharp