Health and Hygiene Policy and Procedures
The Playbox promotes a healthy lifestyle and a high standard of hygiene and conforms to current Food Safety Legislation in it’s day to day work with children and adults. This is achieved in the following ways:
– All members of staff have the basic food hygiene certificate.
– Staff are aware of hygiene procedures and prompt the importance of hand washing to the children, especially before preparing or eating food and after seeing to personal needs.
– Fresh drinking water will be available at all times.
– Snacks provided will be nutritious and pay due attention to children’s particular dietary requirements.
– When cooking with children as an activity, the adults will provide healthy, wholesome food, promoting and extending the children’s understanding of a healthy diet.
– Parents are asked to keep their children at home if they have an infection, and to inform The Playbox as to the nature of the infection so that they can alert other parents.
– Ofsted will be notified of any infectious disease that a qualified medical person considers notifiable.
– Parents will be contacted if their children become ill during the session and asked to collect them.
– If parents cannot be contacted children will be cared for ( in comfortable surroundings away from the other children ) by a member of staff until they can be collected.
– Parents are asked not to bring any child to The Playbox who has been vomiting or had diarrhoea until at least 48 hours has passed since the last attack.
– If the children of The Playbox staff are unwell, the children will not accompany their parents to work.
– Cuts or open sores, whether on adults or children, will be covered with sticking plaster or dressing prior to arriving at The Playbox
– Prior written consent will be obtained from parents for emergency medication or treatment.
– If a child is on prescribed medication the following procedures will be followed:
If possible, the child’s parents will administer medicine. If not, then it must be clearly labelled with child’s name, dosage and any instructions. Written information will be obtained from the parent giving permission for a member of staff to follow the instructions.
All medicines will be kept out of reach of children.
A record will be made of the child receiving the medication, date and times that it was administered together with a signature of the person who administered each dose. Parents will be asked to sign record to confirm they are aware that medicine has been given to their child.
The Playbox cannot give a new medication which has just been prescribed within 48 hours.
The Playbox can only give Prescription Only medication.
With regard to the administration of life saving medication such as insulin, the position will be clarified by reference to our insurance company – The Methodist Insurance Plc
– Animals kept on the premises are safe to be in the proximity of children and do not pose a health risk.
– The Playbox will ensure that the first aid equipment is kept clean, replenished and replaced as necessary. There will always be one member of staff who is first aid trained for each session.
– The Playbox will maintain links with health visitors and gather health information and advise from the local health authority information services.
This policy was adopted at a meeting of The Playbox committee on 11th September 1996
This policy was reviewed & updated at a meeting of The Playbox committee held on12th June 2007
This policy was reviewed & updated at a meeting of The Playbox AGM held on 18th October 2011
This policy was reviewed & updated at a meeting of The Playbox AGM held on 16th October 2012
This policy was reviewed & updated at a meeting of The Playbox AGM held on 14th October 2014
This policy was reviewed at the Playbox committee meeting 23rd November 2015
This policy was reviewed at a meeting of The Playbox committee on 7th November 2016
This policy was reviewed at a meeting of The Playbox committee on 21st March 2017
This policy was reviewed & updated at a meeting of The Playbox committee held on 9th May 2019
This policy was reviewed by email & signed by the chairperson on the 22nd October 2020
Signed by Chairperson Jane Sharp